Windfall apples, what to do with ‘m? I do not want to waste food, but these green apples are not really tasty… bit tough, and not very sweet yet. I asked an apple expert and he said: make applesauce. Hmmm, too simple. So from the first batch, I made apple chutney.
There is a beautiful apple tree in our garden. It is my muse, I often put it in Insta, in all seasons. In the winter, it gives the garden a lot of joy when it is reflected in the pond. And of course, it is also very pretty with its pink blossom in the spring and now: with its green apples.
But now there are already a few falling from the tree every day. I do not want to throw those away, but process it into something edible.
On the basis of a number of internet recipes, I have invented my own recipe while cooking. Result: something quite good!
Recipe chutney from windfall apples
I had 1.5 kilos of applets. After cutting into quarters and removing cores, peel and brown spots (it’s a job!), I kept 800 grams of clean pieces of apple. I did not remove the skin from the beautiful apples. Peel is healthy! There are fibers in it. Good for your intestines.
You can, of course, make this recipe from other apples.
- 800 grams of clean (windfall) apple pieces
- 2 medium-sized red onions in half rings
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of aniseed
- half tablespoon peppercorn
- half teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 grams of tiny ginger in pieces or grated
- 8 dates cut into pieces
- a hand full of raisins
- 250 ml white wine vinegar
- 300 grams of sugar
- clean jars
This is how you make it:
- Fry the onion in some oil
- Squeeze the garlic and add it, stir
- Put the ginger in it, stir
- Add aniseed, cayenne pepper and peppercorns, stir (it has to smell good)
- Then add the apple pieces and mix everything equally well
- Pour in vinegar and stir
- Sprinkle with the sugar, stir
- Add the date pieces and raisins + cinnamon stick, stir
- Bring to boil (stir occasionally, don’t let it burn), then immediately put the fire low and put the lid on the pan
- Let this simmer until the apple is soft
- Remove the cinnamon stick
- Fill the jars. I have filled about 5 jars of 250 ml on average.
Nice, this apple chutney, with:
- Cheese toast sandwich
- Cheese platter
- Veggie BBQ
I’m also going to process the rest of my windfall apples in applesauce, compote and apple crumble. Do you have a recipe? Let me know.
This recipe you can also read in Dutch.
On this blog, I found some more apple recipes for windfall apples.